For almost eleven months, COVID-19 has exposed and amplified long-standing disparities disproportionately impacting communities of color. As the people closest to our students and their families, Graduate Tacoma providers and partners have a unique perspective into the inequitable reality some of our students are forced to navigate.
We call on our partners, friends, and advocates to join our collective voices during the month of February to build a Tacoma that justly serves our students.
We unapologetically demand that our lawmakers find solutions for the following:
- Childcare centers in Pierce County and beyond have closed their doors at an alarming rate, leaving children without quality early learning opportunities.
- The pandemic’s impact on school district budgets currently puts students at risk of not having a fully funded learning environment when they return to in-class instruction.
- Removing unnecessary barriers to College Bound Scholarship enrollment would make the path to higher education a reality for students across the state.
- Funding streams to protect youth serving organizations so they can serve our families during and after the pandemic.
Explore our month of action toolkit for ways to engage and elevate our community voice during this time.
- Week One | Stabilize K12 Funding
- Week Two | Safeguard Funding for Youth Programs
- Week Three | Automatic “opt-in” for College Bound Scholarship
- Week Four | Invest in Quality Early Learning